Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Chapter 1 The Runaway and Rehab

from: Miracles and Mercy by Carol Hobby

I don’t even know where to begin with this convoluted story called my life.  My only hope is that I have a strong faith in Jesus Christ that helps me make it through the day. Some people think the story of Job in the Bible is a myth, a legend, an untruth, but I can tell you that bad things happen to people who try their best to be upstanding, moral human beings. As a child, I feared the Lord, I feared my teachers, and I feared my parents. I must have missed parenting 101 because somewhere along the way I missed getting that message to my children. My boys are all grown men in age, but they skipped that lesson on how to be and act like an adult.

My middle son has managed to live on his own. And he is also the only one to live 4 years away from home during his college years. They were not the easiest years for him and he developed some annoying habits but for the most part he learned how to live off Ramen Noodles and do his own laundry. He has a mortgage and a car note and partially understands a budget.  He has refuted the theory of the middle child.

But my oldest…. I have been through hell with that one.  He was always the brightest child. In fact, he was chosen for an accelerated first grade/second grade split class because he could already read when he started school.  He could identify letters of the alphabet before he was a year old and started reading between 3 and 4 years old.  I did not do anything out of the ordinary to encourage his precociousness, except offer him flash cards and a Speak and Spell. His was yellow, not red like the one in ET. I read to him and rocked him nightly.

In 4-year-old kindergarten he was frequently in trouble. Once while sitting in the Principals office, he read a note on her desk. When she sat down, Matt asked if it was true that the class could bring a toy to school tomorrow. Surprised by his inquiry, she asked him who had told him that information. Matt said no one and pointed to the note. “It says right here: ‘Children may bring a toy from home to kindergarten tomorrow.’”  After our behavior discussion we both agreed that Matt was getting in trouble because he already knew how to read and the program did not challenge him.

I often wondered what factors contributed to his feeling and behaviors during his pre-teen and teenage years. He was born with Phase 3 bilateral reflux which was detected after running a high fever at 12 days old. The doctors assumed it was a form of meningitis and performed several spinal taps before noticing the abnormal urinalysis. He was monitored for 5 years and even participated in a study at the Center for Development and Learning Disorders at UAB. His early giftedness was observed and noted during his sessions.

Matt was a very well-mannered and obedient child. He did not have to be scolded frequently and he followed the rules for the most part until he was about 14. Then life took a swift change of course. He went from a complacent, compliant child to a sneaky, deceitful teenager. My first clue that there was trouble ahead came during a weekend youth retreat at Gatlinburg. I had volunteered to go as a counselor along with another adult friend and about 8 kids from our church. We were scheduled to attend the conference session at night but the youth were given some free time to shop in the afternoon. When time was up, the other counselor and I learned from his friends that Matt had been

arrested for shoplifting less than $10 worth of merchandise. His excuse was that he saw everyone leaving him so he rushed out the door forgetting he had unpaid items.  Whatever the reason, the other counselor and I had to pool our cash and come up with $85 to bail him out. We made the trip home with no souvenirs and no fast food on the way back.

Tennessee sent the case to Alabama where Matt was required to meet with a probation officer periodically. They suggested we see a counselor so this is where the process officially begins. I have said to many of my friends and their children, “Stay out of the Criminal Justice system at all cost.” Once you are in the system it is hard to avoid further confrontations. It’s like you name goes on some kind of list of usual suspects. Bad things seem to follow. In Matt’s case, bad things followed him for over 15 years before his big incident that send him to prison.

His dad and I decided to take the courts suggestion and take him to a counselor. At the time there was a huge psychiatric practice that saw many, many patients with Blue Cross insurance. They were like the big obstetrical practices in the 1980’s that saw so many patients it was impossible to make a relationship with any one doctor. I remember the frustration in waiting hours to see a doctor only to spend the first 15 minutes of my visit recounting my prior visit and my medical record. We knew there were mental issues with our son, but this way of practicing medicine was giving ME mental issues. Not until Matt’s arrest just prior to his 18th birthday did any medical professional suggest he might have a drug problem that was affecting his behavior. They ruled out ADHD and assured us he was depressed and suffered from social anxiety. Matt had failed to make the school basketball team and his dad and I had noticed his change of attitude with the reality that he would never play basketball at the next level. I think they made their conclusion based on the information we had given them.

I remember one visit when Matt was scheduled to meet with his psychiatrist. He did not want me to be in with him in his session so I stayed in the lobby. He had a list of questions to ask the doc, but I knew he would use every excuse to get finished as quickly as possible. When he returned to the lobby in about 7 minutes, I was furious. I saw the doctor in the hallway and proceeded to give him my thoughts which were not pleasant at that time. His hallway diagnosis: “it looks like you are the one who needs medication, Mrs. Hobby.” I learned from my experiences that there is not much you can force on an uncooperative fifteen-year-old teenager.  Their rights begin at age fourteen and there are people, not parents, who will enforce their rights. So, we were not able to make Matt take a drug test. At that time there were no home tests. Our only recourse as parents was to withhold privileges, which led to numerous confrontations and arguments and eventually more arrests.

Matt’s first arrest in Alabama came just 2 weeks before his 18th birthday. He was in his car with 2 other boys. They were attempting to make a phone call at a pay phone in a convenience store parking lot in Argo, Alabama when they were stopped by the police. The owner of the store though they might be trying to break in so he called the law. When the officers searched the car, they found marijuana and drug paraphernalia so all three were arrested.  Before the judge, Matt took the punishment for all three since it was his car. I remember the judge had made them sit in the courtroom while a man was sentenced to life in prison. I know he had hoped it would be a wakeup call. It might have been for the other two, but it was just the beginning of a life riddled with problems for Matt.

Prior to his arrest in August, Matt had failed to walk with his class at his high school graduation. We had found pot in our house and confronted him about his drug use. After we laid down our rules and the terms of our punishment, Matt decided to run away from home. He stayed gone for several days missing school for almost a week. When we located his whereabouts, which were not too far from home, I picked him up and took him to Bradford. He was not happy but once again, insurance would pay for his stay in rehab. He finished the program there and returned to school with a medical excuse for all the days missed. His dad and I met with each of his teachers and they agreed to give Matt the minimum of makeup work so that he could graduate. There is something to be said for applying knowledge and intelligence early on in the educational experience because teachers tend to favor those who work hard and persevere from the beginning of high school. They perceive a given level of excellence that follows even when the student begins to perform below their expectations. In other words, Matt started ninth grade as a straight A student and whatever work he did was perceived at a higher standard even if it was not. He had mastered the art of deception and he found a clever way to BS his way through high school. He even found a way to successfully change his grades even before there was a need to hire a computer hacker.

His manners and good grades, along with the fact that his mother knew most of the teachers from her years of substitute teaching, opened doors for Matt that would not have been opened for other students. Even the feared assistant principal, Mr. Wilson, gave Matt some slack he had not given to other students. Matt was likable, polite, and most teachers loved him. Which is why his failure to walk at graduation was such a disappointment. He refused to take a makeup Civics test for his government class. All he had to do was take the test. Maybe it was a control issue. Matt has a photographic memory. He can read a page, or basically just see the page, and it is imprinted in his mind. So, retaining information is not a problem for him, at least it was not at 17 years old. He had the knowledge, he just refused to take the test. So, he failed Senior Civics and did not graduate. I insisted he get his diploma so he took a correspondence course from the University of Alabama to complete is requirements to graduate.

Matt’s stay at Bradford was only the beginning of a long list of facilities and programs he would attempt on his way to sobriety. Bradford was a forced intervention and Matt did not want to go. He played the sympathy card and worked the system well, but as I have learned, it takes more than one attempt at rehab. I remember those long trips to visit Matt, nothing compared to the ones to come. Oak Mountain seemed like a vacation trip away. With all the somberness at this time, the Hobby family still managed to find our sense of humor. On one visit with the boys we stopped at a Wendy’s on the way. They had a promotion advertising a meal in less than 3 minutes. Of course, ours took 10. When I got up to the window to pay, the lady said “Sorry about your wait (weight) ma’am.”

From the back seat I heard Jeffrey reply, “Are you going to let her talk to you like that, Mom?” I stalled for a moment but when it sunk in, I exploded with laughter. We all did! Leave it to Jeffrey to always make me laugh!

So, the August arrest followed the stay at Bradford. The first try at Rehab did not take.  It was just the first of many to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment