Tuesday, January 14, 2014

We are all alike

If you have ever had a late night phone call, you know the angst it produces the moment you hear the first ring. My grandmother used to tell me that no good happens after midnight, and I believer her. The first time I remember being awakened by a ring, my dad had passed away, but it’s those that involved the law that I remember the most. One late night call came from the Police Department of Argo. My son had been arrested and they requested that we come get him from the municipal jail. He was charged with possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia along with two of his friends. His actions would bring us to court in Pell City. I thought that coming before a judge would be incentive enough to change his life, but I was mistaken. Only now am I beginning to understand the irrational thoughts and actions of a drug addict. There is no reasoning or logic in their behavior. They are consumed with only one thought and that need for self-gratification does not leave room for any compassion or consideration of others. The judge even had the boys sit in on a murder case and see the man shackled and handcuffed. I can still remember the feeling I had as we entered the courtroom. I felt dirty, like I needed to go home and take a long bath. I think I had an attitude at the time that I might be better than those around me. I had been taught to honor the law and getting arrested had been my one greatest fear in my teenage years and on into my twenties. I was embarrassed, humiliated and basically disappointed. I was angry at my son as well. How could he do this to me! I am his Mother! God has really opened my eyes to the Truth during these twenty years. He has reminded me many times of the passage in Romans 8:23. “For we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” I could just as easily be the one on the other side of the chain link fence. The people in jail, court, prison and anywhere else are no different than I am. We are all Children of God. We may be sinners, but if we choose to believe in Jesus Christ we can be forgiven for all that we have done. I see others differently now. I see them through the light of God’s Grace.

3 comments:

  1. Such a great post Mrs. Carol! I have gone through a similar situationg, but as a sister. I have never understood my brothers thought prcoess or why he did what he did. I did know that I loved him so much and he was my brother and nothing could change that. I was always told I shouldn't do things I did to "enable" him or why was i not trying to help him. But more than anything I had to hear judgement. That hurt more than anything. And it was constant. Everywhere I would go I would have toc hear others talk say some pretty awful things. I would even catch myself chiming in with them and agreeing, then crying my eyes out later. No one will ever know the pain you feel inside unless they've experienced this for themselves. Now that I am a mother I certainly cannot even begin to know how hard this is to go through or how you, or my own mother, felt. We are all the same in Gods eyes. No sin is greater and no sin is less than the other. I felt the exact same way; I thought I was better. We all are probably guilty at some point. I am just so grateful for what God has taught me through these difficult times in this thing called life. Even more grateful for His grace and mercy!! I love you Mrs Carol! I am so glad to have each one of the Hobby's in my life! Thank you for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, So many people can identify with what you are going through and are afraid to speak about it. You'll help more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that event so well. I too had many more pickup calls after that. But for thd the grace of God & The Foundry, I would be alongside you. You are my hero for posting & making a difference. Beckie

    ReplyDelete